Contact

Welcome to the J. Ann Photography blog. Here you will be able to find more of my recent work from shoots and everyday life.

For more information, such as availability and pricing, please visit www.jannphoto.com or send an email to jannphoto@gmail.com.


Thursday, March 10, 2011

The world lost a true comedian...


((source:  http://www.latimes.comsns-ent-destefano-obit,0,7396772.story/))
http://www.mikedestefano.com/

Today is a sad day for anyone who has ever had the privelege of knowing Mike DeStefano.  Taken from the world far too early, Mike's passing on Sunday, March 6, has bought many emotions to so many people.  Whether you were his family, close friend, colleague, or one of the thousands of fans worldwide who watched his comedy standups, you will never forget the first time you met him.  I remember my first encounter with Mike was when I first started working at Geronimo's Deli in the Bronx.  He came into the store and immediately hit us with his "in your face", crudely-hysterical banter at which you just couldn't help but laugh - even if some of the stuff he said was WAY over the top!  I just remember thinking to myself "this guy should be a comedian".  I can also remember the first stand up I ever went to where he was performing near Yonkers Raceway.  It wasn't a very big crowd and I remember my friend and I were in stitches over his entire routine.  I also noticed that we were one of the few who were actually laughing as hard as we were.  The next day in the deli, Mike came in and I told him how much I enjoyed his standup.  He looked at me and said "Out of all the people in the room, I remember looking at you (and your friend) and thinking - they get it".  And that was the point of Mike's comedy - either you got his blunt, tell it like it is sense of humor or you didn't.  For those that didn't - I'm sorry but you missed out!

I heard of Mike success in comedy slowly growing over the years, but it wasn't until he premiered on Comedy Central's "Last Comic Standing" that I realized he really was making it.  I watched every episode, laughing at all his jokes and casted my vote at the end of each episode to help keep him in the running.  I remember how pissed I was when he was voted out and told him the next time he came in the store that he "was robbed".  But even when being voted off, he still kept them all laughing til the end.  One of my favorite moments of his final episode of LCS was his farwell speech (and I'm paraphrasing):

"For all those who voted for me, I love you and thank you very much.  To everyone else, F*%@ YOU!"

Mike, I am going to miss your random appearances in the deli where you you never failed to put a smile on my face and laugh my morning away.  The world has lost a true comedian.

R.I.P. Funny man!  1967-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment