Contact

Welcome to the J. Ann Photography blog. Here you will be able to find more of my recent work from shoots and everyday life.

For more information, such as availability and pricing, please visit www.jannphoto.com or send an email to jannphoto@gmail.com.


Friday, September 16, 2011

I survived Croagh Patrick...

During my entire time in Ireland, one of the moments I was most proud of was climbing to the top of Croagh Patrick.  I have never done anything like that before in my life I athink it was a great accomplishment.  Looking back now at all the pictures, I wonder how the heck I even did it!  And I'll brag that I even managed to do it in the average time the say (3.5 hours roundtrip).  If you want to read a little more about Croagh Patrick and its history, check out the sites below:

Wikipedia
Sacred Destinations in Ireland

And now, for my own personal journey up Croagh Patrick....

If you ever do attempt to climb this mountain, I highly suggest renting or buying one of the bad boys.  I didn't at the time and I kind of wish I had it with me at some points (especially when coming back down from the top!).




And we're off!

The Statue of St. Patrick.

A fellow walker taking a little break.


I want you to please take note of this view of the mountain.  Notice how you have a nice clear view of it and can see the very top.  We'll re-visit this later in pretty much the same spot this was taken.

Amazing view from about the halfway point.

This guy here is what we like to refer to as a "trooper".  Yes, barefoot he is.  This is actually how most people do this!

If you make it to about the halfway point, you will be able to catch this breathtaking view on the other side of the mountain...

One of my favorite parts of the mountain.  Climbers from the past have written names and messages in the stones surrounding this area.

Hey Helen, someone loves you!

So close, yet so far....

In case you need a potty break (word of advice, there is no toilet paper).


And here is where things start to get interesting...

Yup, that right there is all rocks and gravel.  Not a fun time.


I love this view and how you can see the trail stretch across the hills.


Funny, I had this same exact view of the lands of Ireland from the plane.

We've made it to the top!  It was windy and freezing up there but I managed to stay up there long enough to get a few shots.  Here is St. Patrick's bed.

Here is St. Patrick's Church.  Little did we know at the time, it's actually open and you can go inside.  Wish we did to warm up a little before heading down and even just to see the inside of it.  Oh well, guess I'll have to climb it again next time I'm in Mayo.


Now, remember that view of the mountain I told you to remember before?  Well, here it is again.  Pretty much the same spot and yes, that is a huge cloud covering it.  I walked through that (::flexes muscles and grunts like a body builder::).

My darling 6'5" husband looks so tiny in comparison to this vast landscape...

No comments:

Post a Comment